Hi everyone! I hope you all had a great summer and are ready to tackle yet another year. It’s going to be another crazy roller coaster of a year and I thought it would be good to start off with some words of often overlooked advice. Whether you’re a first year trying to maneuver the ins and outs of university life, or an upper year just needing a refresher, I hope that you’ll all find that gentle reminder that you were looking for.
- Go out to as many events as you can: University is the time to meet new people, some who will end up being your closest friends. As somewhat of an introvert, I know that it can be really hard to step out of your comfort zone and approach someone. However, sometimes that small step of reaching out can lead to great things. So join new clubs, get involved with your floor and take the opportunity to find your niche.
- Don’t wait until the end to ask for help: Help will always be given to those who ask for it, whether it’s at Hogwarts or at Western. There are so many people here that want to help you and want to see you succeed; all you have to do is realize when you’re in over your head and reach out.
- Take care of yourself: Exercise, take breaks and get enough sleep. If you’re feeling down, talk to someone. If you’re feeling anxious, talk to someone. If you’re feeling a feeling, talk to someone. You will always find a listening ear on this campus. Reach out.
- Avoid the geese: Seriously, stay away from the almighty geese. Do not touch.
- You do you: There will always be people who think that they know what’s best for you. In a world where nothing is really free, take in all the free advice that you can get. However, don’t let someone make your decisions for you. Find your passion on your own terms and know that it’s okay to make mistakes along the way.
As my soph told me during my OWeek, “University is not a place to be yourself; it’s a place to find yourself”. Whether you’re just starting out on your journey or nearing the end, go forth and accomplish great things this year!
P.S. The Loki gif has no real purpose. I just wanted to put Tom Hiddleston in the post somehow 😛