One of my biggest winter peeves is having my relatively not-too-dry-and-gross lips transform into a cracked, chapped and bleeding wasteland of dead skin. For me, this means no lipsticks, lip stains or anything besides copious amounts of Burt’s Bees, Nivea and Vaseline until the summer. My 2 solutions were: shelling out $10 for a lip exfoliant that had a 50% success rate or stocking up on lip balms and hoping for a short winter.
Well, that was me last year before I discovered this amazing, fabulous, life-changing and lip-saving DIY home scrub that can be used year-round to exfoliate your lips (and practically everywhere on your body). It costs significantly less than your run of the mill Lush product and it’s quick and easy to make at home; making it the perfect solution to all of my problems.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Liquid honey
- White and/or brown sugar (I prefer using a mix of both)
- Vanilla extract for scent (optional)
- Olive oil (optional)
- Small jar/tin for storage (optional)
- Lip balm for afterwards
Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Mix a tablespoon of brown or white sugar with just enough honey to to get it to stick together. If you’re using both brown and white sugar, mix 1/4 of a tablespoon of brown sugar and 3/4 of a tablespoon of white sugar.
- Mix in dash of olive oil and a splash of vanilla. If this affects the consistency and stickiness of your scrub, add more honey or sugar as you see fit (add more sugar if it’s too watery; add more honey if it’s too stiff).
Now, walk to a mirror and scoop a tiny amount onto your lips; just enough to cover them. Rub the scrub all over your lips vigorously enough to loosen the dry skin (this shouldn’t cause too much pain, but you may feel some discomfort at first). Let it sit for a minute and wash it off warm water. Always apply lip balm afterwards to moisturize your lips.
Do this once or twice a week and you’ll start seeing results soon. Your lips should look and feel softer without the peeling that comes with dry lips.
Why I love this DIY scrub:
- Everything is natural. Since we’re dealing with the area around your mouth, I love how everything in the scrub is natural and ingestible. While you really shouldn’t be eating the scrub off your lips for hygienic reasons (you’ll be eating your dead skin cells), it isn’t potentially harmful for you since there are no chemicals involved.
- They make great gifts for friends and family. As a broke college student, surviving the holiday gift-giving season would’ve been a nightmare if it wasn’t for this scrub. Packaged nicely in a pretty jar, a cute label and some ribbon, this scrub is the perfect stocking stuffer or even as a stand-alone present for every girl (and guy!) on your list.
- Quick and easy. Honey and sugar are practically household staples. You can make and use the scrub in less than 5 minutes with these simple ingredients. No need to run out and buy extra materials.
- Tons of benefits. Not only is this scrub simple, but it also packs tons of natural benefits for your lips. Honey has the power to heal and moisturize, while brown sugar fights bacteria and hydrates. Olive oil provides a layer of protection from the harsh elements and your delicate lips.
Let me know how this scrub works for you! Feel free to add in your own twists, but don’t forget to share them in the comments below!