Hi Scholars! Happy New Year! I hope you all are ready to dive headfirst into the exciting opportunities and challenges of second semester. It’s okay though, only a few more months before the start of an amazing, four-month summer. Even though it seems to be forever away, now is a great time to start planning for the summer. Below, you will find a list of some exciting summer opportunities Western students can take advantage of.
NSERC award – USRA
The Undergraduate Student Research Awards are created to provide students with incentive and opportunity to participate in research relating to the natural sciences and engineering. These awards are a great source of financial support for students who want to gain research experience in a relevant academic field.
- Compensation: $4,500 + additional contribution by the university
- Application deadline: January 30th, 2015 (however most faculties have their own internal deadlines in place)
- Tip: The first step in applying for a USRA is to contact the faculty you want to apply through. They will provide you with detailed information on the application process.
For more information on applying for a NSERC USRA at Western visit: http://www.uwo.ca/research/funding/students/nserc_usra_overview.html
These awards are a great way to ‘get your feet wet’ and participate in exciting research that is taking place right here on campus!
Canadian Roots Exchange
The Canadian Roots Exchange is a charity that provides learning and leadership experiences in order to bridge the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous youth. The organization offers three main activities: exchange programs, workshops and youth conferences which allow youth to participate in hands-on experiences in Indigenous communities and organizations.
- Compensation: Volunteer (unpaid)
- Application deadline: various depending on program, see website
To learn more about the Canadian Roots Exchange and the diverse programs they offer, visit: http://canadianroots.ca/
Western’s Internship Program
Internships are a fantastic way to experience working in an environment that fits your academic pursuits. With a heavy focus on learning, internships open new doors for students and provide an easy way to build networking relationships outside of Western.
- Compensation: Usually paid, salary depends on the program/employer
- Application deadline: various, depending on program
- Tip: Many faculties offer an internship within their programs. For instance, the Faculty of Science offers an undergraduate internship for Science/BMSC students.
For more information on internships offered within and outside of Western University, visit: http://success.uwo.ca/experience/internships/
UC Berkeley Summer Session Program
Enjoy summer in the rich and culturally vibrant San Francisco Bay area. More than 600 courses in 90 academic departments are offered through Berkeley’s Summer Session program. Study alongside UC Berkeley students in courses from the university catalog. Courses are offered in three, six, eight or ten-week intensive sessions and taught in a rigorous academic environment that Berkeley is renowned for.
- Application deadline: March 27th, 2015 for Western students
- Tip: Apply early to ensure course selection and housing! Course registration for Berkeley opens on February 2nd, 2015
This program is ideal for students who want an exchange experience during the summer! For more information, visit: https://uwo-horizons.symplicity.com/index.php?s=programs&mode=form&id=dd241bf584ba531a0e6b5e75174cd5b5 and http://summer.berkeley.edu/courses
Student Academic Orientation (SAO) Leader
An SAO leader assists first year students with their transition into the university environment. The purpose of the SAO is to help students make connections, explore the campus and learn about the various academic and social opportunities Western has to offer.
- Compensation: Paid, $11.00/hr
- Application deadline: January 15th, 2015
For more information on becoming a Student Academic Orientation Leader (and various other student leader positions at the Success Centre due on February 27th, 2015) visit: http://www.success.uwo.ca/leadership/success_centre_programs/success_leader_program.html
This is a great opportunity for students who are in London for the summer and are looking for employment on campus!
Some other websites to search for opportunities include:
- ProFellow – This is an American based resource but if you make a free account you can filter results to find opportunities without US Citizenship or residency requirements.
- Idea List – has lots of volunteer and internships are posted here
Another great way to find out if these opportunities are right for you is to talk to other students that have been a part of them. Below are a few students who are open to speaking with you about summer opportunities:
Emily Nguyen (email@example.com): Canadian Roots Exchange
Sofia Herrate (firstname.lastname@example.org): SAO leader
Sophia Wen (email@example.com): NSERC awards
Apart from the opportunities mentioned above, there are countless other ones available that cater to your academic, social and leadership interests. You just need to do a little research to find them!