With the stress of getting to all your lectures and labs, finishing all your homework, getting all those essays done, or studying for all your tests and exams, don’t forget to make some time for yourself and just… take a break. Working hours on end probably isn’t the healthiest, and in order to stay sane, you need to have a little fun in between! There are so many random, spontaneous things you can do to relieve all that stress; and they won’t take up too much of your time.
I’m a lover of lists, so here’s my top 5 suggestions:
- Get messy. I live in Med Syd (shout out, Spartans!) and we had a big event called “Paint Authority”, where we basically just squeezed paint all over each other. Besides washing the paint out of my hair for what seemed like an hour, it was probably my favourite experience in residence so far. You don’t have to use paint, but even if you get together with a group of friends and throw water balloons on each other, it would be fun!
- Watch a comedy. If you scroll through the comedy page on Netflix, you’ll find something that’ll crack you up and put you in a good mood. Get together with your friends, and maybe after studying for a bit, you can watch a movie too!
- Take a nature walk. Whenever I’m around Middlesex College or Thames River, I try to take a few minutes to go the long way and admire the beauty that is Western University. The trees and ivy on the buildings look even better during the fall season or on sunny days. Take some photos – they’re really Instagram-worthy.
- Play games. If you live in a building with other students or friends, get together and play cards, board games or video games. Sometimes it can feel really great to be a kid again!
- Volunteer for charities or those in need. Just taking a break from your own life to help improve others’ lives can make you feel a lot better, and realize that some of the stress you have might not be the worst.
I know it can be tough to manage your time, especially with final exams just a month away. Hopefully you can try some of these, or create your own lists of some fun pastimes and make sure to fit them into your schedule!