Two days ago, I began to watch “The Mindy Project”. Two nights and 2.5 seasons later, I’d finished a grand total of 46 episodes. With the tight schedule of a science student, I’m usually behind on popular shows and have had to master the art of binge watching. Since I usually get incredulous looks when I announce that I watched three seasons of “How I Met Your Mother” in four days or that I finished an entire season of “Game of Thrones” in a day, I thought I’d share some tips with you guys that have helped me through many a shows.
Shaily’s Top 5 Tips on How to Binge-Watch:
- Set a goal: Marathoning a new show is like cramming for midterms. You need to have a clear idea of how much you can finish in an hour, day, week, etc. It’s a little easier for shows because each episode is restricted to a time limit.
- Stick to your goal: If you’re anything like me, goals are really hard for you to keep. However, bingeing a new show is a serious commitment and demands that you keep up with your goal. To make it easier, multitask eating or working out with watching TV so that you feel like you’re getting more done.
- Keep it real: Being realistic is important. Not everyone has the same capacity and that’s okay. At the same time, you want to get this show done so that you can move on to the next one. Depending on the time limit of the show and schoolwork, a reasonable amount of watch-time for beginners is 6 to 10 hours.
- Make sure you have all of the episodes: Unless you’ve bought a set of all of the episodes – which no one really does anyway – it’s important to have access to all of the needed episodes. The most frustrating thing that can happen when watching a new show is to find that the site/browser that you are using for marathoning only has 5 seasons out of 9. Like with anything else in life, being prepared is key for success.
- Push your limits: The art of binge watching is a fairly new art and still has a lot of potential. Change up your watch times over time and you’ll find that you have a surprising capacity for television intake. Maybe you’ll get up to watching two or more shows at a time!