Staples for Surviving the Western Winter!
So I’m sure by now people have heard more than they like to about how cold it has been, the amount of snow fall, the lack of snow-plowing, slippery road conditions and congested traffic… the question that you are probably asking though is: what can I do to battle the cold weather?!
For this reason, I have put together some of my top tips for handling this wild Western winter wonderland (that’s a bit of a tongue twister!)
1. Warm your soul
– This suggestion actually encompasses 2 things to try:
- Fill yourself with joy while embracing the wicked weather by helping someone shovel, move their stuck, car or just holding the door open for them; doing just a small act of kindness can help warm you from the inside out!
- Arrive on campus armed with a hot beverage! Yes, there are is a seemingly infinite number of Tim Horton’s and Starbucks on campus, but having your own thermos means you can dodge the long lines and enjoy a warm drink for hours!
2. Increase Efficiency
– Do little things to make your day run smoother: add a London Transit Commission App to your phone so you don’t end up waiting in the frigid air too long, plan your day ahead of time so you know where you are going between classes and think about the routes are taking around campus; in the winter, the short cuts often prove to be the more difficult paths to navigate.
3. Come Prepared
– At the very least, ensure you are prepared to face the winter weather. Pick out a cute and cozy scarf, dig out some mitts, and yes, wear a hat! Your peers would rather see you in a funny-looking hat then at Health Services with frostbite!
4. Enjoy Something Special
– Treat yourself to a warm bath, cozy sweater, Netflix marathon, hot chocolate or some home baking!
So before you next head out into the cold, brace yourself, prepare yourself, and keep some of these ideas in mind! Together we can face the beauty and challenges of winter!